Jake just made this apple crisp, and so I like him better now. Delicious, now go get a summer job.
Caramel-Apple Crisp (Bon Appetit)
8 to 10 servings
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Pippin or Golden Delicious apples (about 2 3/4 pounds), peeled, quartered, cored
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until small moist clumps form. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Stir sugar and butter in large skillet over medium heat until smooth sauce forms. Add lemon juice and cook, stirring, until caramel is deep brown, about 5 minutes. Mix in salt, then apples. Toss until apples are evenly coated, about 1 minute. Scrape apples and caramel into 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; spread evenly. Sprinkle topping evenly over.
Bake crisp until apples are tender, sauce is bubbling thickly, and topping is golden, about 50 minutes. Let crisp cool 15 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.